Winning Cases for 20+ Years
$25 Million Wrongful Death
$4.8 Million Wrongful Death
$2.8 Million Personal Injury
“Not only are they highly competent and considerate, they care about their clients and work hard to ensure that the needs of the clients are met.” - Charity A.
Marianna Car Accident Attorney
Fighting for the Injured in Jackson County Since 1999
Car accident claims are the most common of all personal injury cases in the United States. When drivers engage in behaviors that put others at risk, there can be devastating consequences. At the Law Offices of B. Shannon Saunders, PA, we have dealt with the consequences of serious car crashes for two decades, resulting in a wealth of experience and legal skills that can be used on your behalf. Get help from an experienced car accident lawyer who can help you navigate through confusing insurance policies, procedure, and jargon.
Hurt in an auto accident in Jackson County or elsewhere in the Florida Panhandle? Call our experienced car accident attorneys at (850) 800-9088 or contact us online.
Recent Florida Car Accident Statistics:
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), traffic fatalities for the state of Florida have steadily been on the rise over the last several years:
- There were over 3,100 traffic fatalities in Florida in 2018
- Over 800 fatalities were caused by alcohol-impaired driving in 2018
- Over 300 fatalities were a result of speed-related accidents in 2018
In 2018, the most common types of accidents leading to crash fatalities were:
- Single vehicle crashes - 1,651
- Roadway departure accidents - 1,112
- Intersection-related accidents - 1,132
If your accident was caused by someone else's negligence, you shouldn't have to face paying for recovery and repairs on your own. Contact our firm today to find out if you may be eligible to receive compensation.
What to do After a Car Accident?
When you are involved in a car accident, it is normal to feel overwhelmed and experience panic about what to do immediately after a collision. There are several important steps to take to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones after being involved in a car crash in Marianna.
Following are 5 steps to take after a car accident in Florida:
- Get to Safety - Car accidents often happen in areas with heavy traffic. Immediately following an accident, proceed to a safe location away from any obstacles.
- Check Yourself and Others - Car accidents can result in serious injuries. It's important to check yourself and other for injuries and seek immediate medical attention if necessary
- Call 911 - Contact the police, and an ambulance if necessary, as soon as possible to file an accident report and seek emergency assistance. Do not ever refuse medical treatment if you are advised to do so.
- Document the Accident and the Damage - Take pictures of any damage to property or vehicles.
- Gather Information - Make sure that you receive the other drivers' contact information, license plate number, and insurance carrier. Collect witness statements if possible.
- Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney - Our accident attorneys can guide you through the legal process and help you receive the compensation you need to recover.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
The answer is: it depends. Whether or not you need a car accident lawyer depends on if you have time and energy. You might be able to handle your car accident claim if you are willing to invest the time and effort needed to research and understand how the process works.
Learning how to negotiate a settlement for a simple car accident is possible. Still, if your case ends up in mediation or a small claims court, you will need to understand the procedural rules and how to prepare your case. If your case ends up going to a superior court, then you must understand the laws, rules, and procedures that apply to your situation. You must be able to act as if you are an experienced car accident lawyer -- the court will not go easier on you because you are representing yourself.
If you are recovering from a serious injury, you most likely will not have the time and energy to make the effort to understand personal injury law. In Florida, you have four years from the date of the crash to file a claim. This may seem a long way away, but it can fly by. If you are going to take on the case yourself, you will be spending that time gathering evidence and information, hunting down witnesses if needed, and researching how the car accident injury claims process works, all while needing to take time to heal.
When Should You Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident
You will most likely need the help of a Marianna car accident attorney if your injuries are severe, if the insurance company is not helping you, or when your case goes to trial.
Reasons to get a car accident lawyer:
- Your accident resulted in injuries that will affect you long-term or permanently. If your case involves high stakes -- do not represent yourself. It is best to have an expert car accident attorney by your side. You could end up losing the case or not settling for an amount that actually does not cover all of your damages.
- Your negotiations with the insurance company are not successful. If the insurance company is refusing to make a reasonable offer, then it is time to seek out help from a skilled car accident lawyer. Having a credible attorney by your side and the threat of a lawsuit may be enough to get the adjust to change their tune.
- Your car accident claim is going to trial. If your case is going to court, get in touch with a car accident lawyer in Marianna as soon as possible. Taking on a case with no prior knowledge of how the process works is not advisable, even if you are not at fault. If the other party has an attorney, you will most definitely need one too.
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in an auto accident in Marianna, reach out to Law Offices of B. Shannon Saunders, PA to schedule a free case evaluation. For more than 20 years, we have helped people in our community get their lives back on track after serious car accidents. Give us a call today.
Statute of Limitations for Car Accident in Florida
According to Florida Statutes section 95.11(3)(a) individuals who were injured in a car accident have up to 4 years after the date of their accident to file a lawsuit, however exceptions to this law exist so it’s best to contact a car accident attorney to learn about your specific options.
While the same time limit applies for filing a lawsuit for damage to your vehicle, if you are filing a wrongful death lawsuit for someone who was killed in the car accident, you must file your lawsuit within 2 years of the individual's death, if different from the date of the accident. This law is found in Florida Statutes section 95.11(4)(d).
Failure to file your lawsuit within the specified time limit may result in the other party requesting to have the court throw out the lawsuit. Don't wait to begin filing your claim! We can help guide you through the process and get you the compensation you need in order to recover from your accident.
Our Car Accident Lawyers Can Help
You need an advocate on your side representing what is in your best interests—not what is in the interests of shareholders of a large corporation. Our firm has a strong track record of results in this field across the Florida Panhandle and southeast. As an experienced trial lawyer, we can investigate, build your case, and engage in tough negotiations or represent you in court if needed.
Car accidents can occur for various reasons but most of them are caused by driver error which can be considered negligence. A skilled personal injury lawyer can help you identify the cause of your accident and bring an effective lawsuit.
Common causes of auto accidents include:
- Driver distraction (cell phone usage, texting, adjusting devices and knobs, eating, drinking, grooming, etc.)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Violation of traffic laws, such as speeding, running red lights, and tailgating
- Dangerous weather conditions
- Equipment failures, auto part defects
In the face of any traffic accident, the smartest action you can take is to consult with our attorney to understand your rights and options. At the Law Offices of B. Shannon Saunders, PA, you can do so in a free consultation. We can then get started in putting your case together to maximize the compensation of your claim.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (850) 800-9088. Proudly serving Jackson County.